The Sydney Spectres Basketball Club provides all members of the community, regardless of sexual orientation, age, skill or fitness level, with a supportive and socially inclusive environment to participate as part of a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning (GLBTQ) friendly basketball club. The club caters for individuals of all ages and skill levels with opportunities to develop their athletic ability, compete as part of a team and socialise with like-minded individuals.
The Spectres were founded in 2001 and the following year participated in the 2002 Sydney Gay Games. From those humble beginnings, the Spectres have since grown to 5 registered men's and women's teams, competing in the City of Sydney Basketball competition at the Alexandria Basketball Stadium. The teams compete in a number of divisions and consist of both novice and experienced players, all with a passion for basketball and commitment to the club's core principles of social inclusion and improved fitness and skill levels.
Mission Statement >>>>>>
The Sydney Spectres Basketball Club provides an environment free from harassment and discrimination for members and friends of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning (GLBTQ) community to play basketball and fulfil their athletic aspirations.
Our Committments >>>>>>
The Sydney Spectres Basketball Club is committed to:
- Providing members and friends of the GLBTQ community with a supportive and socially inclusive environment to participate as part of the club regardless of age, skill level or sexual orientation;
- Providing opportunities for club members to enhance their athletic aspirations and improve fitness levels;
- Providing opportunities to meet and socialise with like-minded individuals;
- Creating a sense of community and a welcoming environment for all new and existing members;
- Eliminating stereotypes and allowing all members of the community to partake in organised sporting activity without fear of intolerance or discrimination; and,
- Providing opportunities for GLBTQ youth.
Proud Moments in Sydney Spectres History >>>>>>
GAY GAMES INVOLVEMENT >>>>>>
The Sydney Spectres as a team was first formed by Jaye Mitchell to compete at the 2002 Sydney Gay Games. Since then we have continued that tradition by attending the 2010 Gay Games in Cologne Germany, the 2014 games in Cleveland USA and the 2014 Asia-Pacific Outgames in Darwin Australia
Sydney Spectres Committee >>>>>>
The Sydney Spectres Basketball Committee meets once every six weeks and are responsible for the continuing growth and development of club life.
CLUB PRESIDENT // Jane Ubrien.
CLUB VICE PRESIDENT // Anna Rowe.
SECRETARY // [vacant]
TREASURER // Chris Kennedy.
SOCIAL MEDIA // Shona Hanson
WEBSITE // Anne Homann
OTHER COMMITTEE MEMBERS // Samara Fitzpatrick, Somerset Hoy, Rose McGill, Brent Devine, JP Cupidon